Apply to be a Fellow
Applications for the 2017-2018 fellowship class are open through January 18, 2017.
Everyone has a role to play in the health equity movement. Are you in? Click here to start your application.
We are looking for a global and diverse group of passionate and talented emerging leaders who:
- Are willing to push themselves outside their comfort zones, to embrace failure, and to approach a personally transformative year – with many challenges in the day-to-day – with integrity, humility, and self-reflection.
- Listen openly to others, embracing a range of perspectives and experiences while remaining open to having their own perspectives shift.
- Understand the hard, complex work of building just health systems and have the patience, resilience, and motivation to see these challenges through.
- Are empathetic, with a commitment to self-care and the wellbeing of others.
- Are passionate about social justice in global health and about finding and building their voices to affect health impact.
- Are committed to inclusivity and collaboration across sectors, cultures, and borders of all kinds, while investing in and supporting others.
Are you part of the next generation of global health leaders?
Our applicants are 30 years old and under, so we’re not expecting you to have years of senior leadership experience under your belt. Instead, we are looking for alignment with our leadership practices and values: strong evidence of leadership potential and some leadership experience along the lines of organizing, collaborating, and working to affect change, however subtle it may be. The GHC fellowship is a one-of-a-kind leadership opportunity which places you in the real world, amidst real problems. It won’t be easy, but it will be transformational and rewarding.
Through your application, we want to understand who you are, what your personal vision of leadership is, what your social justice values are, and how you are working toward them. We also want to understand your perspective on the power of young leaders to change the world, why you want to be a part of the GHC community, and what you will contribute.
How will you build on the tremendous work of our nearly 750-strong emerging leaders worldwide? Are you ready to push yourself? Can you handle bumps in the road? We are here to support you, but you need to want to do the work. The real work. The roll-up-your-sleeves and do what it takes to effect change kind of work. Are you committed to changing and strengthening health systems no matter how hard, complicated, and long term the path there might be? Are you excited about engaging with a diverse community of people who share the belief that health is a human right, and offer a wide array of perspectives, personal stories, and expertise otherwise? Are you ready to change the future of global health? Are you willing to do what it takes to ensure health equity for all?
- Yearlong paid placements (June 25, 2016 – July 9, 2017) within partner organizations in Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda, the US, and Zambia to address real-time capacity gaps and strengthen health systems. See our full list of partner organizations.
- In addition to on-the-job training, we engage fellows in a comprehensive leadership training curriculum to build effective, empathetic, and innovative leaders of tomorrow.
- Fellow receive additional logistical and financial support during the year, including:
- Monthly living and utilities stipend
- Health insurance
- Professional development grant of $600 and completion award of $1500
- Travel coverage to and from placement site, all trainings, and retreats
- For more information visit our FAQ page.
- Be 30 years or younger by June 25, 2017.
- Hold a bachelor or undergraduate university degree by June 25, 2017.
- Be proficient in English.
- November 8, 2016: Part 1 of the application opens — general information and essays.
- December 7, 2016: Part 2 of the application opens — select up to three position descriptions for which to apply
- January 18, 2017: Application parts 1 and 2 close at 11:59pm EST. Proof of Identity and Proof of Education documents due
- February 1, 2017: Recommendation form is due (submitted directly by your reference through the online application portal)
- February – March 2017: Each application is reviewed at least twice
- March – April 2017: All semi-finalists are interviewed by Global Health Corps
- April 2017: All applicants are notified by email of their application status
- April – May 2017: 3 to 5 finalists per position are interviewed by partner organizations
- May – June 2017: Fellowship offers are extended on a rolling basis
- June 1, 2017: All applicants are notified by email of their application status on a rolling basis
- June 25 – July 9, 2017: 2017-2018 GHC fellows attend Training Institute at Yale University