About Dignitas International
Dignitas International works with local and national health institutions in Malawi to increase access to HIV/AIDS-related prevention, treatment, care and support through ongoing training, support and direct service provision. Program activities include:
- HIV Testing and Counselling (HTC)
- Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission (PMTCT)
- The treatment and prevention of opportunistic infections and sexually transmitted infections
- Palliative and psychosocial care
- Treatment with life-extending ARV therapies
Dignitas places an emphasis on the development of community-based approaches to extend the reach and impact of existing health facilities. It is by creating a supportive loop between hospitals, health centres and communities that the vast numbers of people who need treatment will be able to access it.
The Monitoring & Evaluation Officer will work closely with the research and the data management teams to manage data related to Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) for Dignitas International – Malawi Program.
Core responsibilities will include supporting the M&E Coordinator and the Data Manager to ensure that all data related to M&E are accurately sourced, stored and ready for reporting. The fellow will be asked to contribute to the smooth running of the reporting cycle for all data on program and research activities.
Monitoring & Evaluation and Data Management
- Contribute to the transfer of data between the M&E and Data Management teams by ensuring that data is available in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Sourcing data, with the support of the Data Manager, M&E assistant and M&E Coordinator, from the current Data Management and M&E systems
- Control for data quality, ensure that data is cleaned and check for accuracy, blank records, missing or unrealistic information, inconsistencies, and duplicates
- Transfer data across platforms and check for consistency and data conversion error
- Format data as required for reporting purposes and address any problem related to data management
- Ensure accurate sorting of the files at data entry
- Manage routine internal reporting processes related to data collection (data collection systems, reporting forms and reporting systems)
- Work closely with the data management team and specialists to ensure adequate coordination and supervision of ongoing and new projects
- Ensure that data privacy, data security, and backup protocols are implemented in the context of data management and M&E
- Participating in database modification and development
- Actively participate in data management meetings
- Contribute to integrate evaluations into program activities.
- In collaboration with the M&E Coordinator, create plans, including logical frameworks and accurate budgets, to conduct evaluations
- Extract data for reporting on request, help to compile and submit data as periodically required by MoH and funding organizations
- Inform the Data Management Coordinator on any change to be implemented in the reporting system
- Make recommendations on how to improve reporting systems based on data management
- Assist in elaborating templates for data reporting – for research and M&E purposes
Systems Support and Communication
Provide support for Data Management and M&E projects, including routine monthly and quarterly reports.
- Actively contribute to coordinate the development, compilation and sharing of evidence in a timely manner to decision makers within the organization
- Contribute input in support of research and grant proposals, publications and conference presentations
- Contribute to compiling and submitting data and reports as periodically required by MoH and funding organizations, in particular USAID
- Prepare presentations for Program Management on finding and key lessons learned
- Participate in strategic thinking on M&E integration throughout the program
Desired Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Computer Science, Epidemiology or in related/relevant field
- Demonstrated ability to develop database applications at least in Microsoft Access
- Demonstrated ability in the use of data management software
- Proven strong report writing skills, ability to present monitoring data and survey finding clearly
- Computer proficiency with MS Access, Excel, Statistical Programs (et. STATA, SAS, SPSS)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to manage tight timelines and potentially stressful, shifting priorities and deadlines
- Capacity to work both independently and collaboratively within a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with HIV Program M&E is desirable
Fellows will receive housing in Zomba and a monthly stipend of $650/month. Fellows will receive a completion award of $1500, health care coverage and cost of transportation to and from GHC programming sites.