Placement Organization: Art and Global Health Center — Africa
Placement Location: Zomba, Malawi
Eligible Citizenship: Malawian
About: The Art & Global Health Center—Africa (AGHC), housed under the African Center of Communication for Development, creates innovative arts-based HIV/AIDS interventions that are driven by emerging Malawian arts activists and rooted in local culture. Our program addresses vital HIV and AIDS-related issues including gender inequality, stigma, and socio-economic challenges, while empowering people to take control of their health through prevention, testing, and treatment. The Center empowers young people and people living with HIV or AIDS (PLWHA) by encouraging creative initiatives and providing leadership training and guidance. As a new organization, we are currently focused on cementing infrastructure by securing partnerships which would ensure the sustainability of our programs. We also are focused on establishing a monitoring and evaluation department, and building strong linkages with the community as well as with donors and partners.
Position Overview: The Communications and Development Coordinator will collaborate with Dr. Boneh, program staff, and our colleagues at the UCLA Art & Global Health Center to create and coordinate a marketing and development campaign for the Art & Global Health Center—Africa. This person will coordinate the drafting of all communications and grant-writing for the center, sustain and build our network of international and local partners and donors, and oversee the development of materials for the Center.
- Fundraise for the Center – identify funding sources, write drafts of Letters of Interest and proposals
- Manage donor relationships by writing and tracking acknowledgement letters, invitations to events and general correspondence
- Build partnerships with local and international organizations and stakeholders that would enhance the sustainability of the Center’s projects
- Update the website with current projects, research, and publicity
- Develop materials for the Center, such as training manuals and educational materials
Required Skills and Experience: We seek a highly organized, energetic, motivated person with superior communication, writing, and presentation skills.
- Excellent writing skills in English and Chichewa
- Excellent oral, relationship building and communication skills
- Familiar with the Malawian context – potential partners and stakeholders
- Commitment to the AGHC-Africa’s core beliefs with a track record of innovation & achievement in their studies or work history
- Comfortable working in a team environment
- Interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to interact diplomatically and effectively with individuals of various ranks, nationality, and cultural backgrounds
- Comfortable with pressure and meeting deadlines
- Self-starter and self-disciplined
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Grant writing
- Web design
- Background in HIV/AIDS
- Background in the arts
- Experience in event planning
- Social media expertise
Living Conditions: Fellows will be provided with housing, health insurance and a living stipend of $650/month. Fellows will also receive an award of $1500 upon successful completion of the fellowship year. Flights to and from the placement site and all other costs associated with GHC programming are included. Zomba is an urban area with many housing options and apartments available with basic amenities (electricity, hot water, etc.). There are several supermarkets and home goods stores with all the necessary items.