Placement Organization: Emmanuel International
Placement Location: Zomba, Malawi
Eligible Citizenship: American
About: Emmanuel International (EI) Malawi is a faith based non- profit organization that started working in Malawi in 1987 through a partnership with the Evangelical Baptist Church (EBCM). EI works with partner churches, the government, and relevant stakeholders, to address our current priority areas: Food security, climate change, economic development, community based health care and nutrition, child protection, emergency relief, and water and sanitation.
Since 2001, EI’s community development programs have expanded to include large-scale integrated projects funded by bilateral and multilateral donors like the World Bank, USAID, DFID and Rotary International. EI is currently working on building its capacity to ensure successful implementation of new projects that are being executed under the set priority areas.
Position Overview: As Emmanuel International continues to grow and take on high volume programs, it needs to create and maintain a centralized monitoring and evaluation system that will increase its capacity to evaluate these programs. The Monitoring and Evaluation Fellow will play a key role in developing and implementing this system, alongside the M&E officers.
The fellow will work as a coordinating link across all of EI’s program departments with an emphasis on the Njira program, and specific focus on its core component of reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health (RMNCH). The fellow will simultaneously assist with data collection, improvement of data quality, and report writing.
We are seeking someone who is passionate about health and development, and the vital role that effective monitoring and evaluation systems play in ensuring that programs serving rural communities meet their aims and can continuously improve their performance.
- Develop and cultivate an effective computer based M&E system
- Clean and verify data as it is being entered
- Develop and improve data collection tools
- Assist in the synchronization of work done by M&E officers from all programmatic departments
- Establish a clear communication mechanism for all M&E program officers
Required Skills and Experience:
- University degree in public health, epidemiology, informatics, statistics, demography, or computer science or equivalent relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience with M&E software like: CS PRO, STATA, SPSS, Excel or Access
- Demonstrated ability to manage, gather, clean and analyze data, and report findings
- Knowledge of health and development sector M&E gained through academic and/or professional experience
- Passion for health equity and serving rural communities
- Strong technical skills cleaning, verifying and analyzing large quantities of data
- Hard working and able to work diligently toward attaining the goals and deliverables that have been set
- Ability to collect and share information concerning multiple programs internally
- Open to frequent travel to rural communities
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively within a team environment
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills; Prepared to work and report to different supervisors
- Able to function well in a cross-cultural work environment
- Excellent oral, written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to learn new concepts at a steady rate
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Ability to create monitoring tools
- Demonstrated experience with Data Management Systems like MIS
- Ability to create and design M&E checklists and protocols
- Demonstrated knowledge of computer networking and programming
- Knowledge of Malawi’s development sector and the MGDs (2)
Living Conditions: Fellows will be provided with housing, health insurance and a living stipend of $650/month. Fellows will receive an award of $1500 upon successful completion of the fellowship year. Flights to and from the placement site and all other costs associated with GHC programming are included, including $600 in professional development funds.
*Note: the living stipend and completion award may be paid out in USD or local currency, as determined by the placement organization
To apply to this position click here: http://ghcorps.org/fellows/apply/application/