Placement Organization: Covenant House
Placement Location: Newark, NJ
Eligible Citizenship: Non-American
About: Covenant House New Jersey (CHNJ) is the largest privately funded provider in the New Jersey caring for young people between the ages of 18-21 and housing up to 110 youth per night at various locations. Although a subsidiary of Covenant House International, CHNJ is incorporated separately and governed by its own Board of Directors. As an international agency, we provide shelter, transitional living and non-residential services to youth at 20 sites throughout the United States, Canada and Central America. Covenant House has served more than 600,000 young people in its 30-year history.
Covenant House has programs located in four major communities, Atlantic City, Newark, Elizabeth and Montclair. CHNJ responds to the immediate and basic needs of youth by providing a continuum of care. Services are provided 24 hours per day, 365 days per year on a residential and non-residential basis. Our mission is to serve suffering children of the street, regardless of race, creed, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation. Our philosophy of care involves building relationships with each youth and treating them with absolute respect and unconditional love. Through relationship building we are able to effectively build trust and assist the young people to move from a state of hopelessness and helplessness to optimism and independence.
Position Overview: The GHC fellow will work closely with the Service Management team, under the supervision and guidance of the Coordinator of Service Management. The GHC Fellow will conduct wellness assessments of all youth that come through our doors in Newark. The fellow will connect our young people with the appropriate medical professionals and provide comprehensive medical case management.
Responsibilities: In keeping Covenant House current with the ever changing policies and practices of state funded insurance and private and public hospitals the Health Fellow will also serve as a liaison with these entities and provide updated information to the agency.
- Conducting wellness assessments of youth and consulting on the outcomes
- Following up on medical referrals
- Medication monitoring and ordering refills
- Updating medical resources information
- Escorting youth to medical appointments as necessary
- Providing educational sessions to youth on relevant medical topics including how to obtain services from community partners
Required Skills and Experience:
- Must be at least 22 years old
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Ability to drive a vehicle
- Past experience in working with the age population that we service
- Proficiency in using computer programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Ability to work with a team and independently
Living Conditions: Fellows will be provided with housing, health insurance and a living stipend of $750/month. Fellows will also receive an award of $1500 upon successful completion of the fellowship year. Flights to and from the placement site and all other costs associated with GHC programming are included.