Placement Organization: Together for Girls, UNAIDS
Placement Location: Washington D.C.
Eligible Citizenship: American
About: Together for Girls (TfG) is a global public-private partnership formed to end violence against children, with a particular focus on eliminating sexual violence against girls. Launched at the Clinton Global Initiative in 2009, Together for Girls includes partners from the private sector (Grupo ABC, BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company), Nduna Foundation, UN Foundation and CDC Foundation), five UN agencies (UNICEF, UNAIDS, UN Women, UNFPA and WHO) and the U.S. Government (the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, the Office of Global Women’s Issues at the U.S. Department of State, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Violence Prevention Division in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.) These partners draw the highest-level policy leadership and technical expertise across sectors including child protection, gender-based violence prevention, public health, and HIV to ensure a comprehensive response.
Together for Girls has three pillars of work: (1) conducting and supporting national surveys on the magnitude and impact of violence against children; (2) supporting coordinated program actions in response to the data; and (3) leading global advocacy and public awareness efforts to draw attention to the problem and promote evidence-based solutions. In addition, developing and strengthening the capacity of individuals and institutions is an important crosscutting element of the partnership. Working with governments and civil society, the Together for Girls model builds on existing programs and platforms wherever possible to integrate the issue of sexual violence into social welfare, health, education, and justice programs.
Position Overview: The Together for Girls Communications and Youth Advocacy Officer will work under the supervision of the Together for Girls Managing Director, and will collaborate closely with members of the Together for Girls Secretariat and partner organizations team. This position will focus on expanding Together for Girls’ communications and advocacy work in addition to strengthening outreach particularly with young people and youth organizations.
- Conduct a comprehensive mapping of youth organizations focused on gender, violence prevention and HIV
- Establish productive relationships with relevant youth-focused partners and stakeholders; track and maintain relationship database
- Consider and recommend options to strengthen the engagement of youth in the work of TfG to inform a strategy for youth
- Represent TfG at appropriate venues to educate and encourage close working relationships with other agencies, funders, and collaborating organizations
- Maintain communication with key contact points in peer and partner organizations
- Maintain Facebook, Twitter and website and other communications materials like press releases, routine communications, etc.
- Support day-to-day work at the Secretariat carried out through the Communications and Monitoring and Evaluation sub-committees, including secondary research, writing and developing materials such as fact sheets, prospecting and cultivating funding opportunities, writing grants and reports, and supporting and coordinating Together for Girls’ events
- Other tasks as assigned
Required Skills and Experience:
- Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel proficiency
- Experience with social media including website, Facebook, etc.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree in communications, public health, education or related
- 3-5 years’ work experience
- Community mobilization experience, particularly with young people
- Advocacy or campaign work experience
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Capacity to interact diplomatically and professionally with stakeholders of diverse backgrounds
- Understanding of gender, violence prevention and social determinants of health
- Highly organized with ability to prioritize assignments, proven multi-tasking skills, including ability to work effectively under pressure, handle heavy volumes, and meet demanding deadlines
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Intermediate understanding of web-design, social networking, and customer relationship management (CRM) technology
Living Conditions: Fellows will be provided with housing, health insurance and a living stipend of $750/month. Fellows will also receive an award of $1500 upon successful completion of the fellowship year. Flights to and from the placement site and all other costs associated with GHC programming are included.