Placement Organization: Tiyatien Health
Placement Location: Boston, MA
Eligible Citizenship: Non-American
About: Currently, more than 1.5 million Liberians live beyond the reach of hospitals and clinics. Tiyatien Health’s (TH) mission is to combat the cynicism, indifference, and lack of creativity that inhibits health care delivery in the most remote corners of Liberia. By pioneering and proving new possibilities in health delivery in Liberia’s most remote villages, we aim to create a new standard of health care for the poorest of the poor throughout the world. Specifically, TH aims to build a 21st century frontline health worker network to save the lives of women and children in last mile villages.
Position Overview: The Program Officer will serve alongside the Chief Operating Officer in coordinating and supporting Tiyatien Health’s programs and operations across the organization. Primarily, the Program Officer will serve as the lead US role in (1) the overall coordination of Liberia program support; (2) managing finances for Boston-based expenses and Liberian program grants; and (3) coordinating and orienting Liberia-based volunteers and interns.
Provide programmatic and operational support for global programs and operations
- Assist in planned and unplanned project support for team in Liberia, including supply and medical procurement, liaising with partners, coordinating virtual meetings, and supporting international logistics for patients as necessary
- Serve as primary coordinator of Liberia-based staff travel to Boston office
Support global financial accounting, along with Boston expense and budget tracking
- Track and analyze global organizational budgets, in coordination with TH-Liberia Finance Team
- Summarize and submit wire transfer requests to US Executive Committee for approval
- Assist with program-focused development activities, including the preparation of grant proposals, financial and programmatic reports for current and potential donors, and formal progress reports to institutional grantors
Recruit and support Liberia-based volunteers
- Communicate regularly with Liberia team to identify core areas of need for international yearlong interns and short-term volunteers
- Assist recruitment and selection process for interns and volunteers
- Assist in orientation and coordination of accepted interns prior to their travel to Liberia
Required Skills and Experience:
- Exceptional English written communication skills
- Willingness to travel to Liberia for short-term trips, if necessary
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- A deep commitment to serving the poor
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to advance projects under own initiative
- Patience, humor, and compassion
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Degree with a concentration in international development, global health, or African studies preferred
- Academic or professional background in accounting and financial management
- Strong project management and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for a diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner with limited supervision
- Exemplary interpersonal skills – ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across teams and countries.
- Experience working with financial accounting software (e.g. QuickBooks)
Living Conditions: Fellows will be provided with housing, health insurance and a living stipend of $750/month. Fellows will also receive an award of $1500 upon successful completion of the fellowship year. Flights to and from the placement site and all other costs associated with GHC programming are included.