Placement Organization: Vecna Cares Charitable Trust
Placement Location: Boston, MA
Eligible Citizenship: Non-American
About: Vecna Cares, the nonprofit arm of Vecna Medical, promotes primary care in emerging and underserved areas worldwide by providing resources and technology for sustainable and scalable healthcare delivery. Vecna Medical donates intellectual property and up to 10% of software engineer working time to the Vecna Cares Charitable Trust for product development and support. The mission of Vecna Cares is to improve the state of healthcare delivery- one community, one clinic, and one hospital at a time.
Vecna Cares works with clinics and communities around the world to improve healthcare delivery and public health outcomes in under-served communities by helping them implement and use sustainable and scalable information technology solutions. Vecna Care’s CliniPAK™, the Clinical Patient Administration Kit, plays a key role in forwarding our global health and primary care initiatives. These units include rugged touchscreen tablets, cell phones, solar panels and biometric devices to capture patient data for better reporting and better care.
Through developing and installing technology solutions, supporting local capacity building, improving efficiencies and promoting public health initiatives, our contributions help to improve quality and reduce the cost of delivering care in health systems.
Position Overview: Vecna Cares is currently piloting our CliniPAK product in Kenya and in Boston and working with teams in both locations to identify necessary improvements and create models that can then scale-up effectively.
The Project Manager will work at the Vecna Cares headquarters in Boston and will act as the intermediary between the technical team designing the technology applications, and the Program Manager and product users of the technology in the field. He/ she will be responsible for helping to ensure that the product is functional, useful and effective for the users and help to set and achieve program and solution goals within budget and schedule. The Manager will assess the efficacy and capacity of the products and work with the practitioners and users of the product to identify adjustments and improvements for the markets and identify new opportunities to demonstrate the impact of the product on healthcare challenges.
The Project Manager will also have the opportunity to work with a variety of web-based technologies, create and develop features on evolving medical technology products, and tackle challenges in real world healthcare delivery. The Manager will help to provide a product delivery framework for the technical team and deliver products and solutions in web-based software, software-hardware integrations, and mobile devices, which will then be turned around and used by patients and healthcare workers in the field within a matter of weeks.
- Manage feature capture and definition for new medical technology product releases
- Manage team of engineers and contributors for on time and on budget medical technology product release
- Manage details of multiple projects both stateside and international to coordinate unique product features and configurations for each client
- Pursue funding opportunities and support client demonstrations
Required Skills and Experience:
- Proficiency in basic computer programs: Word processing, spreadsheets, presentations
- Interest in technology for problem solving
- Experience in project leadership or management, including meeting project schedules and constraints in producing a deliverable
- Highly motivated and self-driven, self-managing and accountable personality
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Undergraduate or higher degree in computer science or any engineering discipline
- International development or travel experience
- Health care delivery exposure or experience
- Grant writing experience and/or business model development
- Previously illustrated creativity using technology for problem solving
Living Conditions: Fellows will be provided with housing, health insurance and a living stipend of $750/month. Fellows will also receive an award of $1500 upon successful completion of the fellowship year. Flights to and from the placement site and all other costs associated with GHC programming are included.