Placement Organization: Action Africa Help International – Zambia
Placement Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Eligible Citizenship: Zambian
About: AAH Zambia’s mission is to support disadvantaged communities to improve their livelihoods through community empowerment approaches in partnership with stakeholders. Our vision is sustainable improved livelihoods for disadvantaged rural and urban communities in Zambia. Current priority areas are: Primary Health Care, Water and Sanitation, and Education, and Food and Income Security. HIV/AIDS, the environment, gender equity, and disability are cross-cutting issues that shall be mainstreamed into all AAH Zambia programs. Institutional strengthening and sustainability will be areas that the organization will also focus on during the Strategic Plan 2011 to 2015 period.
Position Overview: The fellow team will work together with the country office staff to strengthen the sustainability of the organization. The team will support the Board of Directors to prepare for meetings, and work hand-in-hand with the country office on grant applications, concept notes, and project proposal writing.
The Operations Development Officer specifically will be responsible for implementing the AAH Zambia institutional strengthening plan. S/he will focus on strengthening the organization’s financial management, human resources management, staff development, project management, and organizational management capacity.
Assess and strengthen financial systems
- Assess current financial management policies and practices, and determine best practices for replication in field offices
- Develop a training program for AAH Zambia accountants on Sage Pastel, a financial management information system
Support human resource systems strengthening and staff capacity development
- Assess existing human resources policies and processes, and strengthen organizational capacity to effectively lead, manage, and mentor project level staff
- Strengthen staff capacity by providing trainings on management, information technology, and report writing to supervisors and project staff as necessary
- Identify potential external training opportunities such as workshops and seminars for senior AAH Zambia and project level staff
Support reporting and program strategy implementation
- Support AAH Zambia’s internal and donor reporting capacity through the design and training of reporting procedures
- Periodically assess the country strategic plan in collaboration with project managers and the Country Director to determine operational strengthening priorities
Required Skills and Experience: We are looking for a well-rounded operations expert who is excited to build out the operational capacity of a small team. A successful candidate must be able to design and implement systems in a resource-limited setting.
- Computer Literacy
- Experience with financial management
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to work independently
- Flexibility and creativity
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience designing operational systems, and/or implementing new systems in a startup environment
- Degree in business management or related field preferred
- Experience designing/conducting trainings
- Report-writing and evaluation experience
Living Conditions: Fellows will be provided with housing, health insurance and a living stipend of $650/month. Fellows will also receive an award of $1500 upon successful completion of the fellowship year. Flights to and from the placement site and all other costs associated with GHC programming are included.