Placement Organization: Action Africa Help International – Zambia
Placement Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Eligible Citizenship: American
About: AAH Zambia’s Mission is to support disadvantaged communities to improve their livelihoods through community empowerment approaches in partnership with stakeholders. Our vision is sustainable improved livelihoods for disadvantaged rural and urban communities in Zambia. Current priority areas are: Primary Health Care, Water and Sanitation, Education, and Food and Income Security. HIV/AIDS, the environment, gender equity, and disability are Cross-cutting issues that shall be mainstreamed into all AAH-Zambia Programs. Institutional Strengthening and sustainability will be areas that the organization will also focus on during the strategic plan 2011 to 2015 period.
Position Overview: The AAH fellow team will work together with the country office staff to help mobilize resources for the organization. They will support the Board of Directors in preparing for meetings. The team will work hand in hand with the country office in grant applications, concept notes and project proposal writing.
The Resource Mobilization and Communications Officer will be responsible for implementing the AAH Zambia Institutional Strengthening Plan, with a focus on strengthening the organization’s resource mobilization (fundraising) and communications capacity.
- Develop crowd funding project proposals in collaboration with AAH Zambia project staff using online platforms such as Global Giving, Start Some Good, and First Giving to fund project activities in water and sanitation, food and income security, maternal healthcare, and environmental management
- Write grants for prospective and on-going projects to international foundations, private sector companies, and other non-governmental organizations
- Develop a Resource Mobilization Database to manage AAH Zambia’s donors, sponsors, and partners
- Manage AAH Zambia’s online presence, and building out the organization’s use of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and the AAH Zambia Blog
- Develop multimedia products to market AAH Zambia to potential partners and donors by creating short videos, photographs, brochures, and infographics
- Work with the AAH Zambia Board of Directors to develop a board resource mobilization strategy, create fundraising targets, and analyze social networks among board members
- Attend workshops, seminars, events, and other functions to network and promote AAH Zambia to potential partners, sponsors, and donors
- Contribute materials to the AAH Zambia page of the Action Africa Help International website.
- Develop project proposals in collaboration with AAH Zambia staff
Required Skills and Experience: We are looking for a creative and driven fellow with strong communications skills to support our fundraising and development as an organization. Candidates should be flexible, able to work independently, and excited to build out systems in a small organization.
- Computer Literacy in Word, Excel, etc.
- Experience preparing concept notes, grant applications and project proposals
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to work independently
- Flexibility and creativity
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience in Project Appraisals
- Degree in communications, business management, or related field preferred
- Excellent report writing skills
- Strong fundraising experience
- Social media expertise
Living Conditions: Fellows will be provided with housing, health insurance and a living stipend of $650/month. Fellows will also receive an award of $1500 upon successful completion of the fellowship year. Flights to and from the placement site and all other costs associated with GHC programming are included.