Placement Organization: Zambia Center for Applied Health Research and Development
Placement Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Eligible Citizenship: American
About: The Zambia Center for Applied Health Research and Development (ZCARHD) is a registered non-governmental applied and implementation research organization with 85 permanent employees based in Lusaka, Mazabuka, Choma, Kalomo, and Livingstone, Zambia. It is composed of faculty and staff of the Center for Global Health and Development (CGHD) at Boston University (USA) and Zambian public health professionals and specialists, who are working together to carry out applied policy and program relevant research on critical issues of public health importance. The goal is to generate evidence to support health policy decisions that will improve public health and well-being in Zambia.
ZCARHD’s strategic approaches include: conducting evaluation of public health interventions to measure health outcomes, impact, and efficiency of public health services; conducting and supporting applied research on relevant health and development questions; strengthening the capacity of local scientists and trainees from Boston University-affiliated programs to undertake applied research on health and development; and strengthening health services through collaboration with the Government of Zambia, international donors, and local partners. ZCARHD’s areas of technical expertise and focus include research on: maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH), HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment, malaria prevention and treatment, health economics, health systems research, and orphans and vulnerable children, as well as monitoring and evaluation of public health programs.
Position Overview: The main focus of the Senior Research Associate is to provide support to ZCAHRD to improve the operations of its research portfolio. This includes: assisting with grant writing, developing research protocols, reviewing research proposals, planning for implementation of new research projects, researching implementation support, including the training of data collectors and researching logistical support (in collaboration with the ZCAHRD admin team), arranging research dissemination meetings, preparing manuscripts for publications, and preparing activity reports. The fellow will also perform any other duties required by the ZCAHRD office in its support to the Ministry of Health (MOH), Ministry of Community Development, Mother and Child Health (MCDMCH), and the health sector in general.
- Provide support to the Country Director, the Director of Research and Evaluation and BU-based Principal Investigators in develop and implement plans of action for new projects; Including assisting with logistics, training of data collectors, and obtaining necessary approvals from local Institutional Review Boards (IRB), etc.
- Participate to various degrees on ZCARHD projects as they are implemented
- Assist in coordinating ZCAHRD’s monthly research dissemination meetings
- Assist with preparation of abstracts and manuscripts for submission to peer review journals and conferences; The fellow may be a co-author on these submissions or acknowledged depending on their role
- Support preparations of various activity reports to donors and the government including preparation of the ZCAHRD annual report to MOH and MCDMCH
Required Skills and Experience:
- Strong research and report writing skills
- Familiarity with qualitative and quantitative research methodologies
- Computer literate in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and common databases, especially MS Access
- Highly organized
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Grant writing skills
- Strong data analysis and report writing skills
- Experience with SAS data analysis software
- Strong health related research experience for at least two years
Living Conditions: Fellows will be provided with housing, health insurance and a living stipend of $650/month. Fellow accommodations will be provided by ZCAHRD near their offices. Additionally, fellows will receive an award of $1500 upon successful completion of the fellowship year. Flights to and from the placement site and all other costs associated with GHC programming are included, including $600 in professional development funds.
*Note: the living stipend and completion award may be paid out in USD or local currency, as determined by the placement organization
To apply to this position click here: http://ghcorps.org/fellows/apply/application/