Advocacy & Communications Officer, MACEPA
The Advocacy and Communications Officer will be based in Lusaka and will work to document the stories and activities on the front line of malaria elimination. This post will be responsible for creatively sharing the work of PATH in its support to Zambia’s national program. The Officer will have an opportunity to work on materials and messages in this effort, making malaria stories/strategies accessible in the national context and connecting it to the global effort to inspire the elimination agenda.
PATH is an international nonprofit organization that transforms global health through innovation. We take an entrepreneurial approach to developing and delivering high-impact, low-cost solutions, from lifesaving vaccines and devices to collaborative partnerships with communities. Through our work in more than 70 countries, PATH and our partners empower people to achieve their full potential.
PATH has a significant and growing health portfolio in Zambia of which the flagship program is The Malaria Control and Elimination Partnership in Africa (MACEPA). We work closely with the Ministry of Health and the National Malaria Control Center to refine and develop tools and approaches, and build the data that provides critical evidence in support of the country’s push to eliminate malaria. Our offices are based at the National Malaria Control Centre and the PATH office, and our work plan reflects the priorities of the national malaria program.
- Package stories for different audiences: communities/districts pursuing elimination, local and national publications, all manner of social media including management of the MACEPA Instagram account. The content will need to be written in language for the lay-audience and robust enough to use for multiple target audiences
- Develop innovative ideas for video content for trainings and promotional material. Work closely with the Ministry of Health to write scripts and shoot and edit videos for use
- Participate in trainings and partner meetings for documentation, as needed
- Develop training and educational materials for community health workers and community members, as well as maintaining a calendar of materials production
- Promote consistent collection and submission of raw stories and footage from field staff
- Contribute regularly to MACEPA program blog and newsletter ‘Making Malaria History’ and facilitate content for the Making Malaria History website
- Assist Zambia’s national malaria program, as needed, to document and showcase their work and personnel on their platforms, e.g., website and newsletter
- Identify most powerful pieces of information to emphasize to policy and funding decision-makers and to partners, including the private sector for resource mobilization
- Contribute to advocacy, policy and communications strategy development with local team. Help identify, plan, and implement strategies for reaching key target audiences
- Support the range of PATH projects as needed for a better understanding of the breadth and depth of health challenges and opportunities in Zambia
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree*
- At least two years of professional experience*
- Experience writing for a variety of platforms, including social media, website, blog, and/or newsletter*
- Strong writing, with the ability to translate complicated information into accessible language for a lay-audience*
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite*
- Familiarity with photography, photo editing software (i.e. Adobe Creative Suite), videography, and/or video editing software
- Experience collecting stories through surveys, interviews, or other means
- Experience shaping communications and/or advocacy strategy, including identifying key messages for donors, policymakers, and other stakeholders
- Experience designing or producing trainings, presentations, or videos
- Ability to work effectively with a broad range of local and national partners, and in a team environment
- Able to work independently and take initiative in fast-paced environment
- Proactive, self-starter, and creative in finding solutions to challenges
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.