Business Development and Communications Officer
The Business Development and Communications Officer will be based in Lusaka and will provide support to Akros’ portfolio development in a broad range of sectors, focusing on knowledge management and proposal development.
The officer will work with the Director of Business Development and business development specialists to maintain in-country and regional networks, lead efforts in obtaining new work for Akros, and guide non-business development staff in contributing to this work. In this effort, the officer will liaise with in-country implementing partners, funding agencies (e.g., UN, USAID, DfID), and Akros field officers with a broad range of technical backgrounds. The officer will provide Akros with advocacy and communications support through gathering relevant stories depicting and describing Akros’ work to their clients and general audiences. Skills and prior experience in communications (written and verbal) will be necessary.
Akros establishes data-driven and technologically appropriate systems to improve the health and well-being of disadvantaged communities. We pride ourselves in our ground-level knowledge of the service delivery systems where we work, and our ability to provide novel, lasting solutions implemented in developing regions. In water, sanitation, & hygiene (WASH) Akros has revolutionized M&E in sub-Saharan Africa by developing a village level surveillance system that captures live, real-time data and drives information back down to key stakeholders and change agents through robust feedback loops. The Akros team has also applied these same principles to develop the systems for monitoring cross-sectoral health and development programs at the community level.
- Write business development proposals
- Manage proposal writing projects
- Collaborate with health informatics team to develop concept notes for distribution
- Work with Akros management and directors to explain solutions to clients
- Gather client stories for advocacy and communications work
- Contribute to digital platforms such as the company website and social media accounts
- Organizational knowledge management support
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree*
- Preferred: Bachelor's or master’s degree in relevant field
- Experience working in a communications and/or partnership development capacity*
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills*
- Experience in proposal and concept note writing*
- Excellent presentation skills*
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills*
- Familiarity with health information management systems such as District Health Information Systems 2 (www.dhis2.org), ODK, or other open-source data collection and aggregation systems
- Experience working in communications for technology companies/non-profits
- Experience in advocacy, policy, journalism, and/or communications
- French (written and spoken) abilities would be helpful
- Knowledge of global health issues
- Willingness to travel
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Self-starter who will thrive through exemplifying ownership and initiative
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment with individuals with diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to work well against complex and challenging delivery schedules
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.