Communications and Media Relations Coordinator
The Communications and Media Relations Coordinator will support the University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Communications Manager in developing, implementing, and directing an effective and strategic communications and external relations program to increase public awareness and engagement with the mission, vision, and values of UGHE.
- Provide strategic cross-cutting communications support for all UGHE academic and non-academic programs and departments
- Measure and optimize UGHE's digital and offline exposure through the development of content reports and trackers and by conducting analysis and soliciting feedback from internal and external stakeholders
- Build a trusted editorial base of target media contacts to increase the probability of UGHE op-ed placements around relevant global health trends and challenges
- Write and edit various publications, including news releases, feature articles, news stories, and academic research, which highlight the goals, objectives, policies, programs, activities, and accomplishments of UGHE
- Facilitate department branding and design needs of all printed and digital materials, including social graphics, flyers, event promotional materials, and website design management
Website and multimedia
- Support the planning and delivery of a website refresh, including content writing, asset supply and project management of a designer/developer team
- Help develop a robust library of UGHE video and image assets that appeal to multiple audiences
- Gather, package, and schedule social media content in sync with a larger planning calendar and editorial priorities
- Boost UGHE’s local and international credibility by identifying platforms to tell first person stories and testimonials from leaders and learners who have experienced UGHE’s unique offering first-hand
- Promote UGHE international speaking engagements
Skills and Experience
- Excellent writing and editing skills with experience producing documents for external audiences, such as news releases, feature articles, blogs, or academic research*
- Experience managing an organization’s digital presence, including social media accounts*
- Experience working with media contacts/journalists, including writing press releases and setting up interviews*
- Experience managing relationships with external stakeholders, e.g. government officials, the media, and/or donors *
- Willing to learn new tools and platforms, highly attentive to detail*
- Strong demonstrated commitment to advancing equity and social justice*
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Wordpress (or other web builders), and/or email marketing tools
- Experience working at or with academic institutions
- Experience with knowledge management
- Demonstrated project management skills with the ability to ensure internal and external collaborators achieve a time-bound goal or project
- Previous experience in a communications position, with storytelling experience
- Excellent communication which demonstrates an ability to articulate UGHE’s and PIH’s missions and program objectives persuasively
- Demonstrates good judgement
- Interest in health equity and interest in a career in global health
- Willingness to work nights and weekends
- Flexible, results-oriented, and able to work in a project-driven environment
About the Organization
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a global health sciences university based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and changemakers. An initiative of Partners In Health (PIH) and led by internationally recognized faculty and staff from around the world, UGHE is an independent, accredited university that builds on PIH’s three decades of experience in delivering health services to some of the world’s poorest communities. Situated in the foothills of rural north Rwanda, UGHE teaches students to examine the clinical situation with a biosocial lens, analyse the impact of social determinants of health, explore and benefit from community-based learning, and depart with the tools needed to create and repair broken and inequitable health systems. Integral to all UGHE’s academic programmes are the principles of gender equity, inclusiveness, social justice, global diplomacy, history, sociology, anthropology, liberal art, and the concept of One Health, focusing on the interconnectedness of human, animal, and environmental health. By applying One Health and focusing its education in improving the health situation of the vulnerable through biosocial principles, UGHE breaks down traditional boundaries and norms between academic disciplines, fostering interprofessional teaching and learning. Beyond creating a community of intellectuals, UGHE is building a community of practitioners by focusing on implementation science, problem-solving research, innovative pedagogy, and intensive mentorship with its network of world-class faculty.
UGHE's vision is a world where every individual—no matter who they are or where they live—can lead a healthy and productive life. Learn more at www.ughe.org.
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.