Communications and Media Relations Coordinator
The Communications and Media Relations Coordinator will support the Boston-based University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Communications Manager in developing, implementing, and directing an effective and strategic communications and external relations program to increase public awareness of the value and importance of UGHE.
- Write and edit various publications, including news releases, feature articles, news stories, and academic research which highlight the goals, objectives, policies, programs, activities and accomplishments of UGHE
- Gather, package, and schedule social media content in sync with a larger planning calendar and editorial priorities
- Leverage digital tools to promote UGHE's admissions cycle for the MGHD program including, but not limited to, content development and digital advertising
- Measure and optimize UGHE's digital presence through the development of content reports and trackers
- Evaluate the effectiveness of communication efforts by conducting analysis and soliciting feedback from internal and external stakeholders
- Triage press enquiries, including setting up media interviews
- Monitor relevant stories within the media and identify opportunities for both proactive and reactive coverage
- Update and maintain an archive of photos, videos, and quotes
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree*
- At least one year of professional experience*
- Excellent writing and editing skills with experience producing documents for external audiences, such as news releases, feature articles, blogs, or academic research*
- Experience managing an organization’s digital presence, including social media accounts*
- Experience working with media contacts/journalists, including writing press releases and setting up interviews*
- Excellent persuasive communication skills – verbal and written*
- Willingness to learn new tools and platforms, and highly attentive to detail*
- Confident in building and maintaining effective relationships with people both within and outside the organisation*
- Experience with design tools like Adobe Suite (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Experience working at or with academic institutions
- Experience with knowledge management that will translate to maintaining UGHE’s archive of photos, videos, and quotes
- Strong willingness to take initiative
- Proven interest in health equity, interest in a career in global health
- Strong experience in communication, with an emphasis on storytelling
- Willingness to work nights and weekends
- Flexibility and maturity
About the Organization
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new university based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and changemakers. An initiative of Partners In Health (PIH) and led by internationally recognized faculty and staff from around the world, UGHE is an independent, accredited university that builds on PIH’s three decades of experience in delivering health services to some of the world’s poorest communities. Launched in 2015, with the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery (MGHD), UGHE has since added a portfolio of Executive Education courses and will soon launch an undergraduate medical degree.
UGHE is bringing forth a new way of training leaders who will emerge ready to develop health care services and systems that connect neglected communities with essential–and ultimately life-saving–attention. The University's approach is grounded in experience, focused on delivery, and guided by the belief that equity in education can be the catalyst for equity in health care. In all current and future offerings, UGHE prioritizes hands-on and practical field experience; focuses on "systems" rather than symptoms; and provides training in leadership and management. Students leave prepared to address the complexity of delivering care in all settings.
UGHE's vision is a world where every individual—no matter who they are or where they live—can lead a healthy and productive life. Learn more at www.ughe.org.
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.