The SWOT analysis conducted by Health Development and Performance (HDP) staff during our recent strategic planning process revealed a huge gap between the real work done and the ability to document and share it across a range of stakeholders at a national or international level. To rectify this challenge, HDP decided to create a communications role that will identify and document HDP’s best practices and share them with a range of audiences including but not limited to donors, government, other NGOs, and beneficiaries. The Communications Officer will coordinate the communications and marketing efforts of HDP in Rwanda and will support fundraising efforts. This person will be responsible for generating content and updating social media, creating exposure opportunities for HDP in local and other media, marketing events and programs, and supporting the development of materials for HDP, including quarterly and annual reports. S/he will report to the Executive Director and support the Program Team to get inputs for HDP publications.
- Improve and implement the existing Communications and Outreach Strategy to raise awareness of HDP’s work in diverse target audiences
- Enhance the visibility of HDP Rwanda through the website, e.g. showcasing current projects, research, best practices, and publicity
- Increase HDP’s social media presence and continuously providing appropriate content on social media outlets such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, WordPress blogs, etc.
- Regularly create and send out a monthly newsletter
- Develop communication materials for the HDP programs
- Manage public relations and promote HDP opportunities and activities through local media
- Support HDP team to fine-tune concept notes and project proposals to be submittted to donors
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree*
- Experience working with media contacts or as a photographer or journalist*
- Strong English writing skills with experience developing communications materials for a range of audiences*
- Experience in website design or management, ideally including familiarity with WordPress platforms and basic knowledge of HTML*
- Experience managing social media accounts and/or editing a blog for an organization*
- Excellent relationship builder with cultural sensitivity who can interact diplomatically and effectively with individuals of various ranks and backgrounds*
- Self-starter and self-disciplined*
- Highly organized, energetic, and motivated person who can meet multiple deadlines under pressure*
- Skills in graphic design, e.g. Adobe Create Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), and/or background in fine arts
- Experience with fundraising, including writing grant proposals
- Experience planning events, e.g. coordinating logistics, contracting with vendors, and liaising with speakers
- Familiarity with potential partners and stakeholders in the African context
- Track record of innovation and achievement in academics or work history
About the Organization
HDP is a registered Rwandan organization established in 2006. HDP designs innovative and sustainable solutions to ensure a better life for Rwandans in particular and Africans in general. The organization believes in adapting solutions to fit the changing context and aims to become the most dynamic rapid action organization in Africa. HDP has extensive experience implementing health-financing projects in the areas of performance-based financing and health insurance schemes, as well as working with other partners in the fields of research and sexual and reproductive health. The organization is also increasingly expanding its operations in various African countries to support the creation of similar initiatives.
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.