The Data Analyst will dive into our projects and datasets, test theories and methods, and generate yet-undiscovered insights for program managers, policy-makers, and funders. The Data Analyst position will report jointly to the Managing Director and Technical Director for Cooper Smith. The work plan and activities will be dynamic, focusing on addressing priority research questions and testing relationships across disparate sources of data and systems. We expect the analyst to be well-versed on the latest data science methods and instruments and apply these tools in designing the right approach for each investigation. Further, we expect the analyst to bring above-average skills for data visualization, including the ability to see new ways of relating information and using innovative tools to communicate with the intended audience.
The data analyst will be asked routinely to:
- Conduct on-the-fly analysis of small and large datasets
- Generate visualizations for reports, web, and conference proceedings
- Employ user-centered design principles to collect requirements and develop custom visualizations for a target audience [e.g., decision support tools for health care workers]
- Review scientific literature to support analysis plans
- Investigate new tools and software
- Contribute to operational research design and analysis
- Document methods and findings and share externally
- Draft peer reviewed publications
- Help build the capacity of host government counterparts, particularly in data management, data visualization, and analytic methods
The analyst will be asked occasionally to:
- Represent Cooper Smith at scientific conferences or symposia
- Participate in technical working groups
- Assist with preparing technical materials and/or drafting funding proposals
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree*
- Preferred: Bachelor’s or master’s degree in public or global health, data science, computer science, or related field
- Demonstrated project management ability to ensure internal and external collaborators achieve a time-bound goal or project*
- Experience working with quantitative and qualitative data to establish and track program performance and efficiency metrics*
- Intermediate to advanced skills using ONE or more statistical software packages for data analysis (STATA, SPSS, SAS, R, etc.)*
- Intermediate to advanced skills using Microsoft Excel; proficient in other Microsoft products (Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, Sites)*
- A strongly analytical critical thinker who is self-motivated and results oriented, can deliver on tight deadlines, and wants the opportunity to help grow a new organization*
- Experience living or working in low resource settings
- Strong writing skills, including experience drafting protocols, policy briefs, peer-reviewed articles, and reports for a diverse and non-technical audience, allowing applicant to document successes and challenges and translate complicated results
- Solid understanding of research design, methods of describing efficiency, and performance evaluation
- Experience working across citizenships and disciplines through international organizations or external partners
- Willing to travel
- A lover of hard work, good laughs, and passionate about delivering solutions and results to our clients that have broader social impact
- Ability to thrive in a flexible work environment; manage competing demands and adapt to shifting priorities, whilst using good judgment in stressful situations
- Basic knowledge of or interest in learning about disease burden in economically developing countries and response efforts (e.g., programs designed to address HIV, TB, malaria, clean water and sanitation, etc.)
- Experience working with multidisciplinary teams in international settings and familiarity with commonly encountered organizations in international development (donors, multilaterals, consulting firms, etc.)
About the Organization
Cooper Smith works with country governments and organizations to embrace a changing development landscape and demonstrate concretely the value of their programs to policy-makers and appropriators. With expertise in economics, decision analysis, results management, program evaluation, research design, health policy, and software development, Cooper Smith provides the technical force our clients need to power health and development.
Our company is founded on four fundamental principles: performance, efficiency, integration, and capacity. These principles form the cornerstones of our work. We are data-driven, measurement enthusiasts, pragmatic change agents, and early adopters of technological innovation. Cooper Smith helps our clients assemble and analyze complex information into something meaningful, something that can have lasting effect on the lives of the people they serve.
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.