The Design Fellow will have the opportunity to participate as a member of a team tackling unique design problems across the globe and should be interested in contributing to every component of the design process and operations of MASS Design Group. The Design Fellow will have the chance to contribute to a variety of challenging projects during the course of the fellowship alongside exciting partners that range from governmental institutions to international development agencies and small grassroots organizations. The role requires supporting experienced project managers and being involved in all project phases, including early stage research, schematic design, development of designs, and construction documentation and administration. The fellow will gain experience in thinking critically and applying new methods of health-centric thinking throughout the design and building process to help MASS improve lives through our buildings.
- Provide direct support to project managers and associates to meet design deliverables on schematic, design development, and construction documents
- Spend time on site immersions, preparing feasibility reports, production of documentation and/or quality assurance construction
- Work on local design competitions and RFP submissions
- Assist in the daily tasks of running the office, including operations and development
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, landscape architecture, or urban planning*
- A portfolio is required for this role. There will be a field to upload your portfolio as part of your application*
- Master’s degree in architecture
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in an intercultural environment
- Experience with Adobe Suite, Revit, Lumion, and AutoCAD
- Interest in global health
- Humility and the ability to jump into a diverse and multi-disciplinary office culture
- Ability to travel throughout Africa and beyond for work, at times on short notice
About the Organization
MASS is a global design collective that seeks to design, build, and advocate for buildings and environments that promote human dignity and improve lives. MASS immerses itself in the challenges our partners and their constituents face and develops solutions optimized to improve health, economic, and social outcomes. In East Africa, MASS is currently involved with policy work, design, and construction of several projects across the continent. Some of the partners MASS has worked and continue to work with include Partners In Health, the African Leadership University, and Andela. MASS’s programs also serve as a training center and workshop for the next generation of socially-minded architects.
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.