What is a Fellow?
Our fellows are placed at high-impact health organizations in year-long paid fellowships. They address critical gaps in their placement organizations as many have non-traditional health backgrounds. Throughout the year, they engage in intensive leadership development and community building, striving to embody our leadership practices as they work to address health inequities across the global health field.
Our Current Class of Fellows:
Rwanda Co-Fellow Spotlight: Health Builders
Francine and Lara helped strengthen primary healthcare deliver in rural Rwanda by improving systems efficiencies in their organization. They delivered impact by:
- Coordinating office management efforts and overhauling the hiring and onboarding process for 10 new employees as the organization grew.
- Creating a business plan and new financial management systems to maximize resources.
- Documenting work at four health centers and two hospitals for newly-designed organizational materials and implementing a robust social media strategy.
- Managing the operations of a clinical training for 40 healthcare professionals.
Uganda Co-Fellow Spotlight: Save the Mothers
Mary and Taylor worked to improve communications, fundraising, and program implementation efforts, delivering impact by:
- Developing the first five-year strategic plan and budget for the Mother Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative, benefitting nearly 40,000 mothers.
- Coordinating the launch of a new hospital and toll-free community hotlines in existing hospitals.
- Conducting WASH assessments in five hospitals in collaboration with another GHC fellow’s sanitation startup.
Zambia Co-Fellow Spotlight: CHAI
Humphrey and Effie leveraged their diverse, complementary skills and delivered impact by:
- Leading a nation-wide feasibility study on the provision of fortified porridge for infants six to 24 months old to reduce the prevalence of stunting.
- Conducting a landscape scoping for manufacturing baby food and evaluating existing and new distribution channels.
- Estimating the retail market and gauging integration with existing public health nutrition programs.
Malawi Co-Fellow Spotlight: Partners in Health
Rina and Nandi bolstered PIH’s critical health systems support in Neno, delivering impact by:
- Organizing health screenings for 455 community members.
- Developing compelling written and multimedia content on PIH’s work in Neno.
- Interviewing patients to assess needs and inform more effective ways to meet them.
- Composing internal and external media policies to help build key relationships with media houses in-country.
US Co-Fellow Spotlight: Covenant House
Gift and Molly worked to expand access to health and wellness services for homeless youth in Newark, New Jersey, delivering impact by:
- Coordinating an event that raised $6,000 and managing the external partner portfolio to build new relationships with donors and supporters.
- Overseeing the process to secure insurance coverage for uninsured youth, reducing the organization’s pharmaceutical budget by about 80%.
- Organizing 440 medical visits for more than 200 young people to get physicals, sick visits, TB shots and vaccinations.
- Integrating innovative health and wellness services within existing programs to improve youth health outcomes.