Based in our Head Office in Lilongwe, the Marketing Analyst will report to the Head of Marketing and Communications, as part of the marketing team alongside the Demand Generation Manager (DGM) and with the field staff coordinators, who are responsible for management of DG field staff and driving implementation of demand generation activities.
Banja La Mtsogolo (BLM) has ambitious plans to scale up, generate demand, and roll out innovative approaches in 2019-2020, maintaining a strong focus on reaching youth clients. The Marketing Analyst will play an integral role in the design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of our marketing and demand generation approaches, guiding the strategic direction of BLM’s activities. This will include supporting the Communications Manager to measure impact of mass media activities and working closely with the Research, Monitoring, and Evaluation (RME) team on marketing-related data analysis and data validation.
The Marketing Analyst will play an active role in championing the needs of young people (<25s) across our programming and supporting teams to make our service delivery and marketing activities youth-friendly. S/he will be a member of the Operations Team providing inputs to support improved performance and greater inclusion of young people.
- Evaluate the impact of marketing interventions and pilots, working closely with BLM’s Research Monitoring and Evaluation (RME) team to analyze routine data, develop and carry out field research activities to inform management decisions, and improve ongoing marketing strategies
- Evaluate the impact of activities on uptake of FP services across our different sites, teams and client segments, providing insights into key performance drivers
- Track referral rates from BLM’s community mobilisers and explore reasons for under- and over-performance, making recommendations for how to strengthen BLM’s interpersonal communication approaches
- Support the rollout of MSI’s global best practices, including trainings of providers and DG agents, dissemination of new tools (e.g. mobile data collection), job aids for mobilizers, and performance management systems
- Evaluate the impact of new interventions and pilots, working closely with BLM’s RME team to analyze routine data, develop and carry out field research activities to inform management decisions, and improve ongoing marketing strategies
- Support the generation of evidence of best practices, contributing insights and evidence to MSI’s global success models
- Closely monitor and investigate reasons driving youth service uptake across service delivery channels; ensure young people are at the center of our programming and make recommendations on how to ensure service provision is youth-friendly
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree*
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, or related field
- Experience drafting documents targeting a range of audiences, and ideally in developing guidance documents and/or presenting research findings*
- Academic training and/or professional experience in the theory and practice of behavior change communications, ideally in relation to health or sexual reproductive health*
- Experience in developing communications strategies, key messaging, and/or marketing and educational materials*
- Candidate must be pro-choice and in support of BLM’s mission of “children by choice, not chance”*
- Experience with qualitative or quantitative data evaluation, e.g. analyzing results and creating visual graphic representations, including basic excel functions like pivot tables, filters, formulas, and vlookups
- Public speaking experience, e.g. experience in delivering trainings and/or giving presentations
- Professional experience in the field of sexual reproductive health or the broader development sector
- Ability to multi-task, manage multiple priorities, and take independent initiative
- Self-starter and a strategic thinker; analytical and very creative
- Willingness to travel to service delivery sites across Malawi
- Interest in learning about sexual reproductive health
About the Organization
BLM’s mission is “children by choice, not chance”, working to reduce maternal mortality and rapid population growth by ensuring that women and young people, mostly underserved and from hard-to-reach areas, have access to information and service options in family planning/sexual reproductive health (FP/SRH) and HIV/AIDS.
Since its founding in 1987, BLM has established itself as a market leader in the delivery of quality family planning and reproductive healthcare products and services and HIV/AIDS information and interventions. This is done through its main service delivery channels, 33 outreach teams, 26 static clinics, social marketing of BLM products and public sector strengthening activities.
In response to rising adolescent pregnancy and maternal mortality in Malawi, BLM is increasing the organization’s focus on reaching young people and expanding access to family planning services. BLM aims to strengthen demand generation approaches, embedding Marie Stopes International’s (MSI) global best practice on behavior change communications, testing new approaches to demand creation and generating evidence about what works to guide future programming.
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.