The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer will support Amref Malawi in the coordination and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation, research, and learning framework of Amref Health Africa. The Officer will support systematic monitoring of activities and improve the quality of the evidence gathered by Amref’s projects. The Officer will also provide technical assistance to the field offices, particularly in relation to monitoring and reporting. The M&E Officer will be responsible for supporting program design, quality improvement, documentation of best practices, and learning across the Amref Malawi program, in order to provide evidence to ensure effective and efficient program delivery.
- Participate in program evaluation and/or quantitative and qualitative data analysis to assess program performance and inform programmatic decision making
- Contribute to data collection, monitoring, and analysis
- Provide feedback on data to supported field sites, and assist district staff with how to use data for program planning and quality improvement, including presenting data on dashboards and graphics to illustrate results and trends
- Participate in data quality assessments, feedback, and improvement activities for health facilities and/or local community-based organizations
- Support and/or lead the presentation of evaluation results to stakeholders
- Collaborate across the M&E and programs teams to translate evaluation into programmatic improvements
- Participate in the development and/or review of quarterly, semi-annual, and annual project reports
- Document best practices and lessons learned for internal and external purposes
- Participate in proposal development as needed
Skills and Experience
- Data visualization skills with tools such as Excel, Tableau, or Hive to illustrate results and trends in dashboards or graphics*
- A strong quantitative background with proficiency using statistical software like STATA, SPSS, SAS, or R*
- Experience in writing technical materials like program reports*
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, economics, public health, epidemiology, or other social science field
- Experience in data collection through surveys, focus groups, studies, field research activities, or other programmatic work
- Experience with methods for monitoring, evaluation, and assessment to promote evidence-based learning
- Experience with public speaking such as presentations or facilitation
- Skills in research methodologies like literature reviews or studies
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Strong strategic thinking ability in a communications and public relations environment
- Flexible and capable of working under pressure and tight deadlines, with demonstrated ability to prioritize across multiple projects and relationships
- Creative and innovative thinker, with demonstrated analytical skills and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills, including good listening
- Ability to work in a team environment, but with self-sufficiency and self-motivation
About the Organization
Amref Health Africa in Malawi was established in 2012. The Malawi office is part of Amref Health Africa International which was established in 1957 as the Flying Doctors with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. Amref’s initial work in Malawi included working with and treating women of reproductive age with vesico-vaginal fistulae, and other projects related to the eradication of child marriages and trachoma. Currently, Amref Health Africa in Malawi is implementing a number of projects in water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH); sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR); reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health (RMNCH); and advocacy in over eight districts.
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.