Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research Officer
The main objective of the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research Officer is to promote results management and evidence building activities within the Health Development Initiative (HDI) team. The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research Officer will be responsible for supporting the development of effective monitoring and evaluation systems, capacity building, and training activities in monitoring and evaluation and research topics. S/he will be expected to maintain best practices in needs assessment, project design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation. Activities will include training and supporting staff in data collection, safe data storage, data analysis, data interpretation in service of our programs and in order to contribute scientific papers to scientific journals, and disseminating research findings with clear recommendations that can inform advocacy priorities and future interventions. The Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research Officer will work closely with the Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research, as well as program managers.
Health Development Initiative is a non-profit organization based in Kigali. HDI strives to improve both the quality and accessibility of healthcare for all Rwandans through advocacy, education, and training. HDI was founded in 2005 by a dedicated group of Rwandan physicians working in health facilities and communities across the country. This diverse group of health professionals was united by a shared commitment to improve the health of disadvantaged communities within and outside of the healthcare system.
Today, HDI brings together a team with vast experience in medicine, public health, and community development to bridge the gap between communities and the healthcare system. HDI believes that health outcomes can be improved through parallel development of the community and the medical profession’s capacity to support prevention, care, and treatment of disease and illness. HDI supports community and health systems strengthening and works to empower individuals with tools and knowledge to advance the health of their communities, so that all Rwandans may lead healthy lives, free from preventable disease and premature mortality.
Current priority areas:
Advocacy and Accountability: HDI works with government institutions, policy makers, civil society organizations, communities, and individuals to advocate for and promote health-friendly policies and strengthen accountability on their implementation. This requires forging partnerships with like-minded organizations and other stakeholders, gathering evidence, and building capacity for advocacy and accountability.
Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights: HDI works to improve the sexual and reproductive health and rights of different communities, with a focus on youth, young women, and marginalized populations. It does so by providing comprehensive information and services, related to family planning, HIV and other STIs, gender-based violence, safe abortion, as well as by working with the health system to increase access to information and services for all.
Community Health and Development: HDI provides under-served communities with support, training, and health education, empowering them to prevent and treat illness, with an emphasis on preventable diseases, nutrition, and hygiene and sanitation.
Medical and Technical Support: HDI works to strengthen the capacity of the health care system by equipping health care providers with knowledge, skills and resources, and by exploring different approaches for equitable and user-friendly health service delivery.
Monitoring, evaluation, and research support to programs
- Develop a strategy for data management, data collection, data analysis, and sharing and learning opportunities for the HDI projects
- Support, coordinate, and harmonize monitoring and evaluation mechanisms and practices for HDI activities and projects
- Develop organizational monitoring and evaluation tools, including frameworks, indicators, data collection methods, and data quality assurance measures
- Review organizational monitoring and evaluation plan for each project and provide feedback on needs, trends, best practices, and priorities to help in the design of the future interventions
- Develop and deliver capacity building initiatives including training and monitoring for field staff based on gaps in specific areas of knowledge and practices related to monitoring and evaluation
- Train technical staff on monitoring and evaluation tools, research tools, research methodology, database use, and data interpretation to improve data for decision making and future project design
- Coordinate the design of training manuals, tools, and protocols based on national and international manuals
Quality improvement and accountability
- Perform program quality assurance activities such as data quality audits, capacity assessments, mid-term and final evaluation reviews, field monitoring and evaluations, and support assessments, surveys, studies, and evaluations
- Engage HDI staff in data collection, analysis, and use of results for program quality improvement
Evidence and learning
- Conduct need assessments and research for the organization
- Provide assistance in proposal design and project reporting related to research and monitoring and evaluation reporting requirements
- Support the design of organizational research protocols and guidelines
- Perform literature reviews and research projects and advise programmatic staff based on findings
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree*
- Preferred: Bachelor’s or master’s degree in public health with a focus in epidemiology, biostatistics, or another related field
- Experience in designing, implementing, and overseeing monitoring and evaluation activities*
- Experience with statistical packages for data analysis (SPSS, STATA, R, etc.)*
- Competence in MS Access and Excel*
- Demonstrated experience and skill with writing research based reports*
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation activities in a public health setting
- Experience in conducting surveys, assessments, and evaluations for health projects
- Experience in database design and other tools for monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in conducting qualitative studies
- Strong scientific writing skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.