Be a Placement Organization
Apply now to become a 2019-2020 GHC Placement Organization
The deadline to apply is September 28, 2018!
Interested in applying to be a placement organization with GHC? Global Health Corps establishes competitive yearlong roles with high impact health equity organizations in East and Southern Africa and the Northeastern United States. The fellows that fill these roles are selected out of thousands of applicants for their ability to bring new skills, perspectives and their technical expertise to our placement organizations. The GHC fellowship offers organizations an opportunity to infuse new talent from diverse backgrounds into their leadership pipelines.
What can GHC fellows do for your organization?
Fellows work in teams of two – one national fellow and one international fellow – addressing critical capacity health systems gaps that allow organizations to further the impact of their work. GHC fellows are a multidisciplinary group of young professionals who offer a wide range of technical skills, professional experience, educational backgrounds, and diverse perspectives. Their contributions are enhanced by their participation in the GHC community, which serves as a place of learning, support, and discernment.
GHC advertises the fellowship opportunities and candidates apply to specific fellowship positions, for which they have relevant skills and experience. GHC reviews applications, interviews a select group, and recommends finalists to placement organizations, who then are encouraged to use their own interviewing protocols to make the final selection.
The 13-month fellowship begins in late June 2019 with the two-week Training Institute at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, USA. Fellows begin serving at their placement organization afterwards in mid-July and the fellowship wraps up in July 2020.
How does the partnership work?
Placement Organization Selection:
GHC partners with organizations that are doing excellent work in improving healthcare access and outcomes in impoverished communities in Malawi, Rwanda, Uganda, Zambia, and the United States (Boston, New York/Newark, DC). Our placement organizations range in size, scope of work, and geographic focus; we work with small grassroots organizations, large global institutions, and a spectrum of organizations in between. For a current list, please click here.
Potential placement organizations must:
- Be aligned with GHC’s mission
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully absorb two new team members
- Demonstrate an existing capacity gap that fellows can fill
- Identify a supervisor(s) for the fellows
- Maintain strong financial and operational health
Organizations begin by completing our Expression of Interest and submitting a few additional documents. GHC staff lead a rigorous screening process which may include in-person meetings and follow-up phone calls. As part of the selection process, GHC works with partner organizations to craft compelling roles for fellows and establish a cost-sharing plan.
Global Health Corps works with organizations of all sizes. We have different financial models to accommodate the range of organizations with which we work. Cost considerations include housing, monthly living stipend for fellows, health insurance, vaccinations and prophylaxis, professional development funds, completion award, and fellow leadership programming.
For more detailed information on our partnership structure and application process, please review the following:
How to Apply
- Please fill out the GHC Partnership Expression of Interest Form by September 28th.
- Please complete the required Partner Financial Assessment by September 28th.
- In addition to the financial information sheet, please also submit your organization’s non-discrimination and sexual harassment policies to firstname.lastname@example.org, noting your organization’s name in the subject line.
Key Dates and Deadlines
- August 14: Partnership Expression of Interest period opens
- September 28: Deadline for partnership Expression of Interest Form, Financial Assesssment, and supporting documents
- October 19: Role descriptions due to GHC
- October 30: Cost-sharing agreement due to GHC
- November 7: Role descriptions finalized; subsequently sent to partners for sign-off
- November 30: Placement organizations finalized for 2019-2020 cohort
- December 5: Role descriptions posted on GHC website, fellow applications open
- Mid-May, 2019: Fellows finalized for 2019–2020 cohort
- Mid-July, 2019: Fellows arrive at placement organizations and begin their fellowship