Public Health Analyst
The Public Health Analyst will primarily support the Zambia National Public Health Institute (ZNPHI)’s research activities but will also have opportunities to contribute to the efforts of our multi-disciplinary team and support various tasks across the other five strategic pillars. The Analyst will be required to conduct public health research and synthesize research evidence, including conducting systematic reviews. They will manage the dissemination and accessibility of research findings, as well as ensure the translation of available research into evidence-based policy materials including policy briefs. The Analyst will develop and execute uptake strategies to demonstrate the relevance of research findings, with emphasis on how to translate knowledge to practice for policy makers and practitioners. And, they will also support surveillance and disease intelligence efforts. Reporting to the Head – Communication, Information and Research, the Public Health Analyst will be responsible for setting ZNPHI’s research uptake strategies in order to leverage a wider portfolio of research results. This role will be based at the ZNPHI offices in Kabulonga, Lusaka.
- Conduct research evidence synthesis (including systematic reviews) in priority areas
- Evaluate public health interventions
- Analyze and review research and other public health data
- Contribute to scientific publications and policy oriented documents
- Promote the dissemination and uptake of research findings through knowledge translation platforms
- Provide technical assistance to key users of analytical data where necessary
- Facilitate housing of data and indicators in the data repository
- Support surveillance, emergency preparedness, and other public health functions
- Perform other functions as necessary
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree*
- Preferred: Bachelor’s or master's degree in public health, epidemiology, statistics, or related health or social sciences field
- Experience conducting and synthesizing research, including systematic reviews*
- Strong skills in quantitative/qualitative data management, ideally including data collection (primary and secondary data), analysis, and summary/recommendations*
- Experience writing about scientific subjects*
- Demonstrated database management skills
- Experience writing research grant proposals and/or conducting literature reviews
- Knowledge management and translation experience, e.g. saving information in an intuitive, approachable format and/or writing accessible summaries or presentations to share information
- Familiarity with research ethics, surveillance, and epidemic preparedness
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to learn new skills quickly
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work successfully in multidisciplinary teams
About the Organization
The Zambia National Public Health Institute under the Directorate of Public Health in the Ministry of Health is a public health center of excellence with a mandate to address all major public health concerns in Zambia. We aim to reduce the disease burden in the country by supporting efforts in disease prevention, surveillance, emergency response, and research. Our priority public health functions are carried out under six strategic pillars: (i) Emergency Preparedness and Response, (ii) Surveillance and Disease Intelligence, (iii) Laboratory Systems and Networks, (iv) Research, (v) Information Systems, and (vi) Workforce Development.
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.