Teaching and Learning Specialist
The Teaching and Learning Specialist will be placed within the Teaching and Learning (T&L) team at the University of Global Health Equity (UGHE), and will also work with the professor and course directors to develop and implement teaching and learning for the University. The primary role of the fellow will be to undertake curriculum development, research, and administrative support to the T&L team, as well as serve as support for Master of Science in Global Health Delivery degree (MGHD) students. The fellow will be involved in educational assessments and the development of student learning outcomes. The fellow will be a key member of the team and will serve as a focal point for students and staff in all things related to the student experience, teaching, and logistics.
The University of Global Health Equity is a groundbreaking health sciences university in Rwanda that trains global leaders to deliver high-quality health care. Owned and operated by Partners In Health, UGHE is a private institution that leverages expertise and resources from the Government of Rwanda, Harvard Medical School, and key partners to create a global forum for delivery-focused teaching, research, clinical care, and implementation. Classes will be taught by international and local experts, including Harvard Medical School faculty, all of whom are instrumental in leading the transformation of Rwanda’s health care system. In September 2015, UGHE launched its inaugural Master of Science in Global Health Delivery degree (MGHD). The MGHD is the University’s flagship program, and is a 2-year, part-time degree for working professionals. It will provide a one-of-a-kind learning experience fundamentally rooted in the principles of global health, One Health, epidemiology, global health policy, management, finance, and leadership.
- Provide technical research to support content development for the suite of MGHD courses including but not limited to:
- Principles of Global Health Equity will comprehensively and creatively explore historical, political, scientific, and practical approaches to existing and emerging global health problems with careful attention to social determinants of health, One Health, and issues of equity
- Evidence Based Global Health Delivery will familiarize students with the application of fundamental analytic and investigative tools including epidemiology, biostatistics, and qualitative research methods; the use of data to identify and evaluate the impact of management interventions on quality of care; and critical principles of measurement and analysis
- Managing Global Health Care Delivery will identify and assess the factors influencing health care delivery. Students will use leadership and strategic thinking skills to define problems, to set priorities for improvement, to create action plans, to develop and manage timelines, and to implement solutions to address problems faced by health service delivery organizations
- Health Policy and Political Economy will give students an introduction to innovation in resource-limited settings through a public policy and public health lens; an examination of critical policy analysis and design principles to understand and foster an enabling environment for developing, adapting, and implementing new health technologies in such settings; and an exploration of design processes, alternative business models, and innovative financing mechanisms
- Leadership and Management will focus on teaching key elements of leadership and management that are necessary for future global health leaders
- Practicum will provide a well mentored space for the design and execution of a practicum project to be implemented in coordination with a global health delivery organizational partner. Through this process, students will utilize principles of evidence-based management to translate research into practice and to improve healthcare delivery and systems; demonstrate leadership to promote organizational development; train and mentor colleagues at organizational partners hosting practicum projects in global health delivery practices; address complex operational challenges effectively and efficiently; and engage in practices that foster lifelong learning and personal and professional development
- In collaboration with the T&L team, use technical content to develop pre-class assignments, instruction sequences to guide course delivery, post-class assignments, and overall assessment and evaluation tools
- Develop program and course specific evaluation mechanism to continuously monitor and evaluate the MGHD program
- Draft a comprehensive instruction sequence and corresponding materials (print, video, online) for MGHD’s core course, Principles of Global Health Equity. This will serve as a guiding and exemplary blue print as the course is taught in the MGHD program, in other health science degrees offered through UGHE, as well as demonstrate to the greater global health community the unique contributions this course makes for the higher education health science field
- Prepare presentations and contribute to the development of scholarship and practical materials demonstrating the unique content and pedagogy driving T&L at UGHE
Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in public health, global health, international development, business administration, or related field*
- Research experience (including in undergrad or graduate school) in the field of public or global health*
- Excellent writing and editing skills*
- Experience as a teaching assistant, research assistant, teaching fellow, or teacher either while as student or as a working professional*
- Experience contributing to the development of a training and/or education program in a health-related field*
- Proven interest in health equity, interest in a career in global health*
- Experience working with master’s degree students
- Experience evaluating the impact of programs and/or curricula
- Experience creating learning materials, including print, video, and/or online
- Flexibility and maturity
- Strong willingness to take initiative
- Willingness to work nights, weekends, and long hours
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.