The Research Officer will work closely with University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) staff in the Educational Development and Quality Centre (EDQC). They will primarily work on research projects conducted within the EDQC and partner departments. They will also assist with essential quality assurance activities across academic departments at UGHE including the School of Medicine and Institute of Global Health.
- Coordinate the implementation of research projects, including secondary data analysis, programme analysis and audits, and rapid reviews and synthesis of evidence
- Assist with course and programmatic evaluations in the School of Medicine and Institute of Global Health, and synthesize results of evaluations into reports
- Disseminate knowledge learned through evaluation reports to UGHE faculty and leadership, including lessons learned and strategies for future improvement, and work with these teams to ensure key learnings are incorporated into project plans
- Support ongoing quality assurance processes and the inception, development and implementation of new processes
- Participate in relevant committees as related to the role, including UGHE’s Quality Assurance Committee and EDQC committees
- Support UGHE EDQC’s faculty in research activities, including project formation, proposal writing, grant applications, data collection and write-ups
- Promote the application of research findings in decision-making and process improvements
- Write analytical research reports
- Contribute to overall capacity building activities in the EDQC and across academic departments as needed
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, data science, public health, health economics, development economics, or related field*
- Strong qualitative and/or quantitative research skills*
- Demonstrated experience in the use of scientific software for data analysis and management, such as Endnote, SPSS, Stata, NVivo, or Atlas.ti*
- Interest in global health*
- Experience designing and implementing research and/or conducting analysis
- Experience in program management and/or monitoring and evaluation and/or quality assurance
- Experience working in or with the public sector (e.g. governments)
- Experience working in higher education
- Working proficiency in French or another official language
- Analytical and critical thinking
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, results-oriented, accountable, and attentive to detail
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to work under pressure
About the Organization
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.