Our leadership development training begins at the launch of the fellowship year, with our Training Institute.
The Training Institute is designed to prepare each new cohort of diverse change makers to maximize their impact over the course of their yearlong fellowships and beyond, and to build the community that will sustain these emerging leaders and their commitment to service over the longer term.
Fellows build their skills and strengths in each area of our leadership development framework: professional development, intellectual exploration, and interior formation. Through rigorous leadership training and sessions with world-renowned speakers, fellows participate in dialogue around pressing global health and social justice issues, and engage in reflection about their roles as current and future leaders.
Training Institute Speakers
GHC recruits diverse top-level speakers who offer fresh perspectives and share their personal leadership journeys. Past speakers have included:
- Dr. Vivek Murthy, United States Surgeon General
- Dr. Noerine Kaleeba, Founder of Ugandan HIV/AIDS organization TASO
- Phill Wilson, Executive Director of the Black AIDS Institute
- Patricia Amira, Storyteller, journalist, and independent media broadcaster
- Dr. Mark Dybul, Executive Director of The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
- Digital storytellers and journalists such as Patricia Amira, Sarika Bansal, Teddy Ruge, Lisa Russell, and Jill Filipovic
- Facilitators and lecturers from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Partners In Health, Yale Global Health Leadership Institute, IDEO.org, Ariadne Labs, SY Partners, and more
Fellows participate in a variety of lectures, discussions and activities during the two weeks. They have the opportunity to network and build community with GHC supporters, partners, alumni, and each other. Session themes include:
- Global health and development landscape
- Storytelling and use of voice
- Professional skills building
- Preparation and deployment
GHC is also proud to contract with Rootwise Leadership, a reflective leadership training and accompaniment consultancy, to create a leadership accompaniment program designed to offer reflective workshops and to provide one-on-one, confidential support for fellows, particularly in their efforts to develop deeper self awareness, relational wisdom, and overall wellbeing.
The GHC Training Institute and subsequent training workshops aim to mold leaders possessing the potential and drive to become tomorrow’s CEOs, heads of state, and philanthropic leaders, all while keeping our community of nearly 1000 fellows connected and collaborative, fostering a commitment to be life-long changemakers for the health equity fight.