The Communications Officer will document stories and activities on the front lines of malaria elimination as part of PATH’s Malaria Control and Elimination Partnership in Africa (MACEPA) program. This role will be responsible for creatively sharing the work of PATH in its support to Zambia’s national program. The Officer will have an opportunity to develop materials and messages in this effort, making malaria stories and strategies accessible in the national context and connecting them to the global effort to inspire the malaria elimination agenda.
- Package stories for different audiences - including communities and districts pursuing elimination, local and national publications, and all manner of social media including management of the MACEPA Instagram account - written in language for the lay-audience and robust enough to use for multiple target audiences
- Develop innovative ideas for video content for trainings and promotional material; work closely with the Ministry of Health to write scripts, and shoot and edit videos
- Participate in trainings and partner meetings for documentation, as needed
- Develop training and educational materials for community health workers and community members, as well as maintain a calendar of materials production
- Promote consistent collection and submission of raw stories and footage from field staff
- Assist Zambia’s national malaria program to document and showcase their work and personnel on their platforms
- Identify the most powerful pieces of information for resource mobilization to emphasize to policy and funding decision-makers and partners, including the private sector
- Contribute to advocacy, policy, and communications strategy development with the local team; help identify, plan, and implement strategies for reaching key target audiences
- Support the range of PATH projects as needed for a better understanding of the breadth and depth of health challenges and opportunities in Zambia
Skills and Experience
- At least one year of professional experience in a communications or advocacy position*
- Experience managing digital communications including social media, websites, blogs, and/or e-newsletters*
- Strong writing skills, with the ability to translate complicated information into accessible language for a lay-audience, as evidenced by experience writing blogs, reports, or summaries*
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite*
- Familiarity with photography, photo editing software (e.g. Adobe Creative Cloud), videography, and/or video editing software
- Experience collecting stories through surveys, interviews, or other means
- Experience shaping communications and/or advocacy strategy, including identifying key messages for donors, policymakers, and other stakeholders
- Experience designing or delivering trainings, presentations, or workshops
- Ability to work effectively with a broad range of local and national partners, and in a team environment
- Able to work independently and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive, self-starter, and creative in finding solutions to challenges
About the Organization
PATH is an international nonprofit organization that transforms global health through innovation. We take an entrepreneurial approach to developing and delivering high-impact, low-cost solutions, from lifesaving vaccines and medical devices to collaborative partnerships with communities. Through our work in more than 70 countries, PATH and our partners empower people to achieve their full potential.
Within PATH’s significant and growing health portfolio in Zambia, its flagship program is the Malaria Control and Elimination Partnership in Africa (MACEPA). We work closely with the Ministry of Health and the National Malaria Control Center to refine and develop tools and approaches and build the data that provides critical evidence in support of the country’s push to eliminate malaria. Our offices are based at the National Malaria Control Centre and our work plan reflects the priorities of the national malaria program.
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.