Based in Kigali, the Design Fellow will have the opportunity to participate as a member of a team tackling unique design problems across the globe and should be interested in contributing to every component of the design process and operations of MASS Design Group. The Design Fellow will have the chance to contribute to a variety of challenging projects during the course of the fellowship alongside exciting partners that range from governmental ministries to international development agencies and small grassroots organizations. The role requires supporting experienced project managers and being involved in all phases, including early stage research, schematic design, and construction administration. The fellow will gain experience in thinking critically and applying new methods of health centric thinking throughout the design and building process to help MASS improve lives through our buildings.
- Work directly under project managers and associates to meet design deliverables on schematic, design development, and construction documents
- Spend time on site immersions preparing feasibility reports and/or overseeing construction
- Work on local design competitions and RFP submissions
- Assist in the daily tasks of running an international NGO in East Africa including operations and development
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, landscaping, or urban planning*
- Preferred: Master’s degree in architecture
- A portfolio is required for this role. There will be a field to upload your portfolio as part of your application*
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in an intercultural environment
- Experience with Adobe Suite and AutoCAD
- Interest in global health
- Humility and the ability to jump into a start-up culture
- Ability to travel throughout East Africa to project sites, at times on short notice
About the Organization
MASS is a social enterprise architecture firm that seeks to design, construct, and advocate for buildings and environments that improve lives. MASS immerses itself in the challenges our partners and their constituents face and develops solutions that are optimized to improve health, economic, and social outcomes. In East Africa, MASS is currently involved with policy work, design, and construction of several health care facilities and schools for partners such as Partners In Health, the African Leadership University, and Andela, as well as serving as a training center and workshop for the next generation of socially minded architects.
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.