The Research Officer will work closely with Amref Malawi staff on projects in our priority focus areas, leading research and documentation of success stories. The officer will conduct focused research, evidence synthesis, and translation; engage stakeholders, such as policymakers and project beneficiaries, to promote consideration and utilization of evidence in decision-making processes; and support in capacity development activities.
- Coordinate the implementation of research initiatives, including secondary data analysis, scenario modeling, programme analysis and audits, and rapid reviews and synthesis of evidence
- Promote the application of research findings in decision-making processes at all levels
- Write analytical research reports and contribute to authoring research papers
- Contribute to capacity building activities
- Contribute to proposal writing
- Develop and disseminate policy-oriented materials, including policy briefs
- Work with communications team to disseminate research findings widely
- Participate as an active member of Amref research Community of Practice (CoP)
Skills and Experience
- Experience conducting and synthesizing research, including systematic reviews*
- Excellent English writing skills with experience in scientific writing, as evidenced by producing technical reports, abstracts, policy briefs, journal articles, or similar materials*
- Demonstrated experience in the use of scientific software for data analysis and management, such as Endnote, SPSS, Stata, NVivo, or Atlas.ti
- Master’s degree in health economics, demography, public health, statistics, data science, or related field
- At least two years experience designing and/or implementing research initiatives
- Experience in program management and/or monitoring and evaluation
- Working proficiency in Chichewa or other local language(s)
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrates sound judgment
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, results-oriented, accountable, and attentive to detail
- Demonstrates persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to work under pressure
- Ability to lead teams effectively and exhibit strong conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling Amref’s values and ethical standards
- Flexible and able to manage complexities
- Experience working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality
About the Organization
Amref Health Africa in Malawi was established in 2012. The Malawi office is part of Amref Health Africa International which was established in 1957 as the Flying Doctors with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. Amref’s initial work in Malawi included working with and treating women of reproductive age with vesico-vaginal fistulae, and other projects related to the eradication of child marriages and trachoma. Currently, Amref Health Africa in Malawi is implementing a number of projects in water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH); sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR); reproductive, maternal, newborn, and child health (RMNCH); and advocacy in nine districts.
Stipend, Benefits, and Logistics
Click here to learn about the stipend, benefits, and logistics associated with the GHC fellowship.
Note: these vary depending on placement country and citizenship.